Jodi Taylor is a bestselling English author behind multiple romance, fantasy, and historical fiction titles.
After months of failing to find a publisher, she self-published her first online novel-Just One Damned Thing After Another. But her fortunes soon changed when the book shot straight to the top of the Amazon Free list. Soon after, her work was snapped up by Accent Press, and ever since then, her career as an author has gone from strength to strength.
Her books are page-turning adventures packed with quirky characters, plenty of humor, and the occasional romance.
So, if you’re looking for a historical fiction novel with a tongue-in-cheek twist, Jodi Taylor’s books are a perfect choice.
Jodi Taylor’s Books in Order
Jodi Taylor has multiple series, several short stories, and one standalone novel to explore. But knowing where to begin can be challenging. So, in this post, I’ll list all of her work in reading and publication order so that you can start your Jodi Taylor reading journey immediately.
|Sr. No.||Title||Publication Date||Print Length||Publisher||Where to Buy|
|1||The Chronicles of St Mary's Books||August 20, 2015||348 pages||Accent Press Ltd||Amazon|
|2||The Chronicles of St Mary's Short Stories||January 1, 2019||23 pages||Headline||Amazon|
|3||The Entire Chronicles of St Mary's Series (Novels and Short Stories) in Reading Order||August 20, 2015||348 pages||Accent Press Ltd||Amazon|
|4||The Frogmorton Farm Books||April 7, 2020||368 pages||Headline||Amazon|
|5||The Elizabeth Cage Series||April 7, 2020||384 pages||Headline||Amazon|
|6||The Time Police Books||April 7, 2020||480 pages||Headline||Amazon|
|7||Jodi Taylor's Standalone Novel||July 1, 2019||205 pages||Headline||Amazon|
1. The Chronicles of St Mary’s Books
Taylor’s debut series stars an eccentric group of historical researchers who use the unconventional time travel method to study major historical events. Rather than reading about the past in books, they head right into the heart of the action, causing plenty of chaos along the way.
In the first book, Just One Damned Thing After Another, the researchers at St Mary’s welcome a recruit named Max. And together, they set off on a wild ride through time, observing and documenting some of history’s yet-to-be-answered questions.
They journey through the Dark Ages of London to the dawning of the First World War before heading back to the Cretaceous Period, as the continents shift and new oceans form.
The Chronicles of St Mary’s Books in Reading and Publication Order:
Thirteen major novels are in the Chronicles of St Mary’s series, with a brand new fourteenth installment due out later this year. You can get the best out of the series by following the publication order listed below.
- Just One Damned Thing After Another (2013)
- A Symphony of Echoes (2013)
- A Second Chance (2014)
- A Trail Through Time (2014)
- No Time Like the Past (2015)
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (2015)
- Lies, Damned Lies, and History (2016)
- And the Rest is History (2017)
- An Argumentation of Historians (2018)
- Hope For the Best (2019)
- Plan for the Worst (2020)
- Another Time, Another Place (2021)
- A Catalogue of Catastrophe (2022)
- The Good, the Bad, and the History (expected to be published in 2023)
2. The Chronicles of St Mary’s Short Stories
Alongside the major Chronicles of St Mary’s novels, Jodi Taylor has also penned a captivating collection of short stories to complement the main series. These are available as digital-only downloads. You can purchase them in print, in the anthologies The Long and Short of It and Long Story Short.
Here are the Chronicles of St Mary’s short stories in the order they were published.
- When a Child is Born (2013)
- Roman Holiday (2014)
- Christmas Present (2014)
- The Very First Damned Thing (2015)
- Ships and Stings and Wedding Rings (2015)
- The Great St Mary’s Day Out (2016)
- My Name is Markham (2016)
- A Perfect Storm (2017)
- Christmas Past (2017)
- The Battersea Barricades (2018)
- The Steam Pump Jump (2018)
- And Now For Something Completely Different (2018)
- When Did You Last See Your Father? (2019)
- Why is Nothing Ever Simple? (2019)
- The Ordeal of the Haunted Room (2020)
- The Toast of Time (2021)
3. The Entire Chronicles of St Mary’s Series (Novels and Short Stories) in Reading Order
Many fans prefer to read the Chronicles of St Mary’s novels and the short stories together, in chronological order.
So, below, here’s a complete list of the combined series in the reading order recommended by the author.
- Just One Damned Thing After Another
- The Very First Damned Thing (short story)
- A Symphony of Echoes
- When a Child is Born (short story)
- A Second Chance
- Roman Holiday (short story)
- A Trail Through Time
- Christmas Present (short story)
- No Time Like the Past
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
- Ships and Stings and Wedding Rings (short story)
- Lies, Damned Lies, and History
- The Great St Mary’s Day Out (short story)
- My Name is Markham (short story)
- And the Rest is History
- A Perfect Storm (short story)
- Christmas Past (short story)
- An Argumentation of Historians
- The Battersea Barricades (short story)
- The Steam Pump Jump (short story)
- And Now for Something Completely Different (short story)
- Hope for the Best
- When Did You Last See Your Father? (short story)
- Why Is Nothing Ever Simple (short story)
- Plan For The Worst
- The Ordeal of the Haunted Room (short story)
- Another Time Another Place
- The Toast of Time (short story)
- A Catalogue of Catastrophe
- The Good, the Bad, and the History (expected to be published in 2023)
4. The Frogmorton Farm Books
This hilarious and heartwarming series has been described as a fairy tale for adults. In book one, The Nothing Girl, we meet Jenny Dove, a young woman with a severe stutter and low self-esteem.
Jenny is on the verge of ending it all when a mysterious golden horse named Thomas appears in her life. Nobody can see Thomas but her, but this wise horse offers her encouragement and guidance, and soon enough, Jenny has found herself a husband.
Suddenly, a new world of possibility has opened, and The Nothing Girl is finally blossoming into A Something.
The Frogmorton Farm Books in Reading and Publication Order:
The Frogmorton Farm books are interconnected. So, to follow Jenny’s story and get the most out of the series, it’s best to read them in the order listed below.
- The Nothing Girl (2014)
- The Something Girl (2017)
- Joy to the World (2020)
- Little Donkey: A Frogmorton Farm Novella (2019)
5. The Elizabeth Cage Series
This bestselling collection of supernatural thrillers stars Elizabeth Cage, a woman who can see things and read people in a way others can’t.
In book one, White Silence, Elizabeth is grieving the devastating loss of her husband. All her life, she’s managed to suppress her supernatural abilities, afraid of the power she possesses. But someone out there is desperate to harness that power for himself. Now, in her vulnerable state, Elizabeth is an easy target.
With nothing and no one to protect her, she knows she cannot trust a soul.
The Elizabeth Cage Series in Reading and Publication Order:
The Elizabeth Cage books are interconnected. So, to get the most out of the series, it’s best to read them in the order they were published, listed below.
6. The Time Police Books
The action-packed Time Police saga is a spin-off to the bestselling Chronicles of St Mary’s series.
The books are set in a far-off future where time travel has become accessible. But this newfound freedom brings chaos and carnage as people seek to change the course of time for their gain.
And so, an international organization known as the Time Police was formed to lay down the law of time travel and seek to maintain order in what is otherwise a holy mess.
In book one, Doing Time, the newest members of the Time Police, Jane, Luke, and Matthew, embark on a heroic yet haphazard adventure as they navigate the murky waters of time crime.
The Time Police Books in Reading and Publication Order
The Time Police books are interconnected. So, to get the most out of the series, it’s best to read them in the order they were published, listed below.
- Doing Time (2019)
- Hard Time (2020)
- Saving Time (2021)
- About Time (2022)
- Santa Grint (2022) (short story)
7. Jodi Taylor’s Standalone Novel
Jodi Taylor is best known for her action-packed series. But she’s also published a stand-alone title under the pseudonym Isabella Barclay.
This high-octane historical romance stars a widowed woman named Elinor Bascombe. Elinor is bound by marital duty to live a lonely life on her deceased husband’s barren estate. But in a chance encounter, she meets an exiled Lord. The two embark on a perilous adventure, searching for that elusive happiness.
Jodi Taylor is the master of quirky historical fiction, rip-roaring adventures, and edge-of-your-seat thrillers. So, if you’re looking for a new author to add to your TBR list this year, you will want to take advantage of her page-turning books.
Are you already a fan of Jodi Taylor’s work? If so, I’d love to hear your reviews and recommendations. Please drop me a comment in the box below!