As cheesy as they can be, everybody loves a good pun. And since here at hookedtobooks.com, we also love books, what better than a round-up of the most hilarious book puns we could find!?
Puns are all about playing around with words. They add an element of fun to language, and they’re a great way to get young readers engaged in books and reading. So here are 60 of the best book puns that will make you giggle (and cringe!). Enjoy!
Author and Book Title Puns
- Tequila Mockingbird
- Blowing hot and Roald
- Forever Jung
- Dahl as ditchwater
- Have you not read Fitzgerald? You Gatsby kidding me!
- Dystopian novels are so 1984
- Strangers on a Twain
- Any way the wind Poes
- You’ve got him at your Steinbeck and call
- Rise and (R.L) Stine
- All you need is Lovecraft
- Follow the Coelho brick road
- Take a walk on the Wilde side
- Brontë is a real breath of fresh Eyre
- Don’t give in to Shakespeare pressure
- Don’t you think it’s time we Terry the hatchet?
- You’re a lizard, Harry!
- Orwell, it didn’t really matter
- The importance of being Ernest Hemmingway
- Wuthering writes
- Have you got a Beatrix in your bonnet?
- If you keep that up, I’ll give you a good Tolkein to
- A babe in the Atwoods
- On the Road to Big Sur
Library and Reading Themed Puns
- Excuse me, mam, but you have fine written all over you
- Libraries are good for your circulation
- I only have my shelf to blame
- Do you mind if I check you out?
- Which building has the most stories? The library
- Libraries make shhh happen
- Don’t turn up your prose at me!
- This library is overbooked
- Better read than dead
- I just can’t help my shelf
- ISBN thinking of you
- Baby got stacks!
- There’s a sign at the library that reads “please don’t pour milk on our serials”
- It’s all about shelf belief
- The librarian JK Rowland in late for work today
- You really turn my pages
- Leave it to the prose
- There’s talk of a new library in town…but they’re keeping the details hush-hush.
- Care to join me under the book covers?
- Sorry but my schedule is fully booked
- I like big books, and I cannot lie
- Prose before hoes
- What’s the longest word in the English language? Smiles: there’s a whole mile between each S
- Spilling coffee on that book cover was bound to happen
- That’s a novel idea!
- Are you afraid of your own foreshadow?
Grammer and Word Puns
- Grammatical errors make me (sic)
- I’m done dating apostrophes, that last one was so possessive
- Metaphors be with you
- Do you comma here often?
- Double negatives are a definite no-no
- The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar. It was tense
- I’m close friends with 25 letters of the alphabet, and I don’t know Y
- “Hey, you! Name two pronouns!” “Who, me?”
- You can’t run through a campground. You have to “ran” because it’s past tents
- The doctor diagnosed me with irritable vowel syndrome
Do you have any hilarious book puns up your (book) sleeve? I’d love to hear them! Add them to the comments below!
Check out these other great posts!