Today we are pleased to welcome Lisa Burstein, author of the upcoming novel Pretty Amy, a story about a Prom night gone wrong and figuring out what's important in life. We're excited to read it when it comes out in May, and we're excited to have Lisa here today to answer a few questions for us!
1. If you were stranded on a desert island, would you try to find a way off or would you adapt to island life and work on your tan?
Definitely find a way off, I am very pale so sunburn would be an issue.
2. You didn't go to your Prom, so what did you do instead?
It's terrible, but I can't remember. I'm sure I was hanging out with some of my friends who also didn't go to the prom and I'm sure that I went to an after party. But I guess I would say, teens if you don't have the best prom night in the world and it isn't everything you hoped for, if the perfect guy doesn't ask you, or your dress rips while you're dancing, or you get arrested, it doesn't matter because 19 years later you won't remember it anyway :)
3. If you couldn't write for some reason what would be your alternate dream career?
I would love to be a chef. I love cooking and going to culinary school is another dream I have always had. I watch Food Network as much as possible. Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) is my favorite chef.
4. What is the first thing you'd do with a million dollars?
Buy a house. Ugh, I'm old, right?
5. Can you let us into your writing process? For instance, mine involves a lot of procrastinating and sugar until I force my fingers to the keys. What gets you going?
Coffee or wine depending whether its day or night, potato chips, my cat, my purple laptop, my day bed and rain tip-taping outside so you don't feel like you're missing out on something. It also helps not to "think" about what you are writing- to just write. You need to turn the editor off while you write, or you'll get no words out. I tell myself there's time for revising later- the time to get my ideas out is NOW.
Thanks, Lisa! That's great writing advice. And when you make your millions we expect to be invited to your new house for a home-cooked meal!